FAQs on visiting China visa-free


Thanks to several newly-implemented policies, an increasing number of foreigners are now able to visit China visa-free. The National Immigration Administration recently answered some of the frequently asked questions on visa-free entry.



Q: According to the mutual visa-free agreements between China and some countries, foreigners who meet the visa-free conditions can "stay for up to 90 days within any 180-day period" in China, what does it mean?

A: It means that within a period of 180 days before any given date, a foreigner can stay in China for no more than 90 days. This 90-day limit does't include time spent in China on visas, resident permits, or other entry documents, nor does it encompass days residing in China with an APEC Business Travel Card. 


Q: If I enter China visa-free and lose my passport, can I use an emergency travel document issued by my country's embassy in China to leave?

A: According to the visa exemption agreements between China and some other nations, the applicable types of documents include not only passports, but also other international travel documents such as temporary travel documents. 

If you lose your passport, you can use other international travel documents as specified in the visa exemption agreement, such as temporary travel documents, to leave China within the visa-free stay period. 


Q: If I need to continue staying in China after the expiration of the visa-free stay period, what should I do?

A: Foreigners from countries with visa exemption agreements with China must depart before the expiration of their visa-free stay period. If you have urgent reasons or face force majeure circumstances that require you to remain in China, you should apply for a stay permit with the exit and entry administration before the visa-free stay period expires.


Q: Do I need to register accommodation after entering China visa-free?

A: Yes. Foreigners from countries with reciprocal visa exemption agreements with China also need to register their accommodations.


Source: National Immigration Administration