The guide to applying for a Chinese visa

Whether you want to come to Shanghai for business, work, or travel, you will likely need a Chinese visa.


How to apply

Fill out an application online at the Chinese Visa Application Service Center. The visa center's websites provide up-to-date information, online consultation, forms and application status services.


Click the type of visa to see what documents you need to prepare: 

M (business) Q (family reunion) L (tourist) Z (work) R (talent) X (study)
F (visitor) C (crew) G (transit) J (journalist) S (private matter)  


Please visit the Chinese Embassy/Consulate General's websites for more details based on your country or state of residence.

Click here for more information about visa applications.


Visa-free policies for foreigners


Extending your visa

If you are in Shanghai and want to extend your visa, you can submit an application to the Exit-Entry Administration of the Shanghai Municipal Public Security Bureau.

Address: No 1500 Minsheng Road, Pudong New Area

Open: Monday to Saturday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

You can make an appointment on the Government Online-Offline Shanghai website. 


Service hotline

If you have issues with your visa application, call the service hotline of the Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau at 021-12367. 


How to apply for a port visa

Foreign ordinary passport holders with an urgent need to travel to China but are unable to secure a visa from a Chinese embassy or consulate abroad in a timely manner are eligible to apply for a port visa to China.


Sources: National Immigration Administratinon, Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau