Application process for residence permits for work in China

Who can apply

Residence permits are issued to expats who reside in China for more than one year.

How to apply

An expat shall, within 15 days upon entry with a visa indicating the reason for coming to China, apply for the Work Permit and get it once passing the examination, and then apply to the relevant entry and exit administrative department for Residence Permit with the Work Permit and other relevant materials.

Application Process and Documents Required

There are eleven different scenarios for work-related residence permits. Please refer to the guide for more information:

(1-Year)Residence permits for work

(2-Year)Residence permits for work

(3-Year)Residence permits for work

(4-Year)Residence permits for work

(5-Year)Residence permits for work

Residence permits for work(in-service training)

Residence permits for work(marked high qualified person)

Residence permits for work(internship)

Residence permits for work(marked part-time job)

Residence permits for short-term work

Residence permits for journalist

Where to apply

Exit-Entry Administration of the Shanghai Municipal Public Security Bureau:

Monday to Saturday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (except for statutory holidays; Saturdays for document acceptance only)

Exit-entry administration offices of each branches of the Shanghai Municipal:

For office hours and locations, see Entry-Exit bureaus in Shanghai and their service hours.

Service Hotline: 021-12367

Supervision Telephone: 021-68547109

E-government platform: Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau

Official WeChat account: Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau