How to apply for permanent residence

If you want to settle in Shanghai, you can apply for permanent residence through the local exit-entry department, granted that you meet specific requirements.


Please review the following list to determine the category that best applies to you.

Working Staff Senior/Professional Staff Core Members of Research Teams
Special Talent Expatriates with Ph.D Degrees Foreign Investors
Couples Reunion Parent-Children Reunion Kinship Support 
Expats Working in China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone Lin-gang Special Area
Overseas Chinese Working in national key development zones, Double Innovation Areas
Expats Holding Residence Permits for Work (Marked High Qualified Person)


Benefits of becoming a permanent resident

Except for certain political rights and obligations restricted by legal regulations, you will enjoy the same rights and bear the same responsibilities as Chinese citizens after getting permanent residence.

Click to view the benefits of holding a Foreigner's Permanent Residence Permit in China.


How to apply

You can access to make an appointment for your application.

Check this video to learn how to schedule an appointment.

You could also apply for an appointment via the WeChat mini-program "随申办 (Suishenban)".

Search "随申办 (Suishenban)" at WeChat Mini Program, select the "Exit-Entry Affairs" and then the "Visa/stay permit/residence permit".


Select the "Appointment for Foreigner's Permanent Residence Application", you can make online appointments to process matters related to the Permanent Residence Permit, including "Permanent Residence for Working Staff" and "Renewal/Reissue of the Permanent Residence ID Card".



Where to apply 

Immigration Service Center of Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau (No 8-9, Lane 36, Xuelin Road, the Pudong New Area)

Open: 9:00 am to 11:30 am; 1:30 pm to 5 pm, Monday to Friday (except holidays and festivals).

Tel: 021-28951900

Exit-entry administration offices of each branches of the Shanghai Municipal Public Security Bureau:

Read the list of "Branch Offices Information" for detailed address and business hours. 


Renewal or reissuance

The permit holder should apply for renewal or reissuance if the Foreign Permanent Resident ID Card expires, is altered, damaged, or lost, and as long as they have not been disqualified for permanent residency in China. Click here for more details.


Sources: Government Online-Offline Shanghai, Online Platform for Government Affairs of Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau, National Immigration Administration, State Taxation Administration


Related stories