What to do in a traffic accident?


In the event of a traffic accident while operating a motor vehicle, it is crucial to promptly stop and preserve the scene. If the accident results in injuries, immediately call 120 for medical assistance and 110 to file a report with police. 

If there are no injuries and the facts surrounding the accident are clear, you may leave the scene and engage in discussions with the other party to resolve the matter. Simultaneously, inform your vehicle insurance company to initiate an investigation and a claim settlement.

In instances where you are the party at fault and the accident involves personal injury, fatalities, or property damage, the insurance company is responsible for providing compensation within the limits of the mandatory motor vehicle third-party liability insurance and commercial third-party insurance. Any portion not covered by insurance will be your responsibility.

In accidents that find other parties at fault, their insurance company will be responsible for providing compensation.

Offenses such as drunk driving, driving without a license, and hit-and-run are considered criminal acts and will be subject to investigation by the police and punishment by the courts.


Source: Road Traffic Safety Law of the People's Republic of China