FAQs: Preparing to study in Shanghai

english.shanghai.gov.cn| December 11, 2023

1. Admission confirmation

Q1: What information is included in the Admission Notice?

The Admission Notice typically contains details about your major, duration of studies, language of instruction and registration information, including time, place and required materials for freshman registration.

Q2: How can freshmen confirm accommodation arrangements?

Freshmen are encouraged to confirm accommodation with the school in advance to avoid any dormitory shortages. Contact the school through email or telephone to finalise arrangements.

2. Daily necessities during study in Shanghai

Q1: What essential electronic devices should I bring?

Bring devices such as a laptop, power adaptor, AC adaptor and portable charger. Note that China has a standard voltage of 220V.

Q2: What daily necessities are recommended?

Items such as bedding, toiletries, clothing suitable for the local climate, common over-the-counter or prescription drugs, and some cash (renminbi) for basic expenses.

Q3: What documents should I carry before departure?

Essential documents include a valid passport and visa, original Admission Letter, China Visa Application Form for Foreign Students (JW201/JW202), tuition fees (if self-funded), at least two passport photos (2 inches), and the Physical Examination Record for Foreigners.

Q4: Are additional personal documents advised?

It is recommended to carry family documents (if required), medical prescriptions, pre-academic certificates, pre-academic transcripts, and recommendation letters if needed.

Q5: Should I bring electrical appliances and daily necessities or buy them locally?

Focus on bringing essential documents and belongings; electrical appliances and daily necessities are easily accessible on campus and in nearby shopping areas.

Q6: Can I bring medicines from home?

It's advisable not to bring an excessive amount of medicines. Local hospitals or school hospitals are available for medical treatment after registration.

Q7: Are there any prohibited items when entering China?

Prohibited items include addictive narcotic drugs, psychotropic drugs, weapons, simulated weapons, controlled knives, ammunition and explosives. Refer to Chinese government regulations for details.

3. Currency exchange

Q1: How can I exchange foreign currency?

Foreign currencies can be changed into Chinese RMB at nearby banks. Opening an RMB bank account is also an option. Accepted currencies include GBP, HKD, USD, EUR, JPY, CAD and AUD.

Q2: Can I cash traveller’s cheques in China?

Most Chinese banks accept traveller’s cheques in USD, but processing may take about 40 days. Bringing cash is recommended.

Q3: How can I wire funds from my bank in my home country to my account in China?

Wire transfer is an option for covering living expenses. Ensure you have sufficient cash for short-term needs upon arrival.

Q4: Is there a daily cash withdrawal limit for credit/debit cards?

Banks have limitations on daily cash withdrawals. Cheque your bank’s daily withdrawal limit in China before departure.

4. Insurance

Q1: What insurance do international students need in China?

International students need to purchase medical insurance and personal accident insurance either in their home country or in China. Most Chinese universities can guide you on insurance services.

For more information after arriving in Shanghai, refer to the Living in Shanghai column on the website.


Sources: studyinchina.edu.cn