How to get a foreigner's work permit

工作许可证_画板 1(4)_副本.jpg


I. Apply for the Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit before entering China

Before entering China, the application for the 'Notification of Foreigner's Work Permit' can be processed entirely online by the employer or entrusted service agency.

How to apply for the Notification Letter of Foreigner's Work Permit?

II. Apply for the Foreigner's Work Permit within 15 days after your entry.

1. Documents Required

(1) Applicant's certificate of physical examination

(2) Applicant's valid visa or residence permit

(3) Other documents

2. How to apply

(1) The applicant submits the materials on the following websites:

Service System for Foreigners Working in China 

Government Online-Offline Shanghai  

Service System for Foreigners Working in China(Shanghai) 

(2) Submit hard copy materials on-site.

(3) For those approved, a decision for the permit is made, and they are notified to collect the Foreigner's Work Permit on-site. For those whose applications are not approved after review, a decision of non-permit is made, along with the reasons provided.

3. Where to apply


Operating Hours


Windows 1-4, Shanghai Science & Technology Administrative Service Center, 1F, Jimao Building, 1525 West Zhongshan Road, Xuhui District.

Monday to Friday

9 am to 11:30 am

1:30 pm to 4:30 pm




Windows 17-19, 3F, 1500 Minsheng Road, Pudong New Area (Single Window for Foreigners’ Work Permit and Residence Permit).

Monday to Thursday

 9 am to 11:30 am

1:30 pm to 5 pm


9 am to 11:30 am

1:30 pm to 3 pm